Retrophiliac in love with vintage fashion

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

How to be an Antique Shopping Wiz!

Hats, Hats, Hats!








It's very easy to see, Me & Lucille Ball have one thing undeniably in common; We both love our hats! There's one antique mall in my small town that always has a beautiful array of 50's hats. I seem to find that every time I walk in there, I end up walking out with another hat. Though typically the 'birdcage' feature on the front (like the black and pink hat) usually have holes/tears in them, they are easily repairable. For the black bow hat I paid only $7, for the brown feather hat I paid $10, and for the pink pearl hat I paid $5. So ladies, go looking at your local antique stores before shelling out $50 for a brand new creation of what you can get cheaper, and the real deal!


Never Too Many Old Papers!







 Other than being a total vintage nut, I am also a total history nerd! Particularly when it comes to the lifes of people who lived in the past, and when I get the chance to own something that was once something owned by a person from a different decade and had no idea that one day I would have possession of a simple letter they wrote to a friend, it just thrills me! All the document items (not including the Rita Hayworth & Glenn Ford movie advertisement) came from a sample of random documents for $10! And it was found in a cute little bookstore, So never look over look any place!






Now the original movie advertisement for The Loves of Carmen, with Rita Hayworth (one of my absolute favorite actresses!!!) and Glenn Ford; you might know their on screen pairing from Gilda. I am so beyond proud to own this, it might seem small and silly to some people but to me, it's being close to a time and a thing that I love dearly which is Old Hollywood. And to know someone probably saw this in a magazine and it compelled them to go see the movie in theaters, just amazes me now that I own it. And maybe it even became that persons favorite movie! I don't know for certain but think of all the amazing possibilities. So really consider the story that could be behind every antique item, it makes them that much more special.







Books... & then some


Though I did not personally get these books myself, I was given them by my grandmother which she got them from an estate sale. My grandparents love a good auction, and if you're not aware of what an Estate Sale is, it's when all the possessions in someone's house is all put up for auction. Typically when a person has passed away and has no living relatives or the relatives have already got what they wanted so they say to just get rid of the rest. Some of the oldest books are from the mid 1800's, just some of the books are two VERY old versions of Uncle Tom's Cabin, five volumes of my favorite author Edgar Allan Poe, an early version of Common Sense, and two large volumes of works of Shakespeare. Among many other books. So never over look an old book!


What have you found while antique shopping? What is your favorite item in my new collection? Comment and let me know! :) 


xoxo,
Kitty Wynne

No comments:

Post a Comment